CILIP: the Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals is the leading professional body for librarians, information specialists and knowledge managers. CILIP was established by Royal Charter with a responsibility for promoting excellence in library and information provision, and has a membership of over 20,000.
The CILIP Information and Advice Team offers support to members on a range of practical professional issues. They are a first point of contact for general enquiries and provide a specialist enquiry and research service for CILIP members. The Team of three qualified information professionals provide the following services:
- An Information Centre, located in Central London, whichis open to CILIP Members and bona fide researchers (thelatter by appointment only). The Centre contains a currentawareness collection focusing on the library and information sector and the needs of the library and information professional, and includes books and professional journals on a wide range of relevant subjects. Four computer terminals are available, allowing access to MS Office, the internet and several online databases and journals. The Centre is WiFi enabled, and photocopying and printing facilities are available.
- Current awareness services – A weekly roundup of the
latest news, discussion and hot-topics from the library and
information sector, as well as a monthly summary of library
and information news from around the world.
- A “News and Views” blog, which is open to all, and a member only “Practical questions and answers” forum in CILIP Communities (http://communities.cilip.org.uk/)
- Remote access to online databases from Proquest, Ebsco and SAGE
- Sector specific salary guides, and advice on negotiatingfor pay
- A series of Practical Guides - Practical Guides are straightforward introductions to topics relating to the Library and Information Profession. They include useful information and guidance, case studies, examples of best practice and suggestions for further reading.
- Top Tips on employment related topic, such as flexible working, going for an interview and sensitive issues at work
- Employment law helpline - a free telephone helpline, run by Roger Vincent Associates, that offers confidential practical advice on personnel and employment law issues.
For more information see http://www.cilip.org.uk/info
The Information Team can be contacted on +44 (0)20 7255 0620 (Monday to Friday 10am – 4pm) or at email@example.com.